Sunday, April 20, 2008

High as Heels

                               Paolo Roversi photographed by me

Paolo Roversi rocks my world. He's photographed every major model on the planet and continues to do so daily. His favorite tool is his 8 x 10 camera with which he has captured some of the most timeless pics of all times. He is the living proof that less is more... He uses the same props (he collects chairs and stools from the street) and claims that when inspiration is lacking he simply hangs up his trusty blanket as the backdrop which he's had for over 30 years. Check out this photo of Natalia Vodianova (blanket and all). I LOVE it!


              Natalia Vodianova photographed by Paolo Roversi


Roversi is a laid back guy who is very natural and likes to joke around. He told me he looks for the same qualities in a model, which is probably why he chose to photograph Simon Nessman a few months ago for Arena Magazine.  Simon is as cool as they come - 18 years old from "a little island off of Vancouver island" with an endearing personality and a smile that makes you melt.


                              Simon Nessman photographed by me


                      Simon Nessman photographed by Paolo Roversi


                       Roversi showing his 8 x 10 photographed by me

Even though Roversi and I have completely different ways of shooting (slowwwww and very precise vs lean mean snapping machine) I admire and respect his work immensely. He is someone I look up to as a role model, someone whose got his shit figured out. He said: "A picture is a black page before it is anything. It is your job to paint on that black page with light. You must feel the light, you must live the light."

And live the light I do...

happy 420 everyone

1 comment:

..... said...

so cool !! i love that guy too !! and yeah the Vodianova pictures from L'égoiste magazine were fabulous