Monday, April 7, 2008

i AM naomi's hair

Team work, unfortunately, is essential in fashion photography. For the most basic shoot you have to have a stylist, a makeup artist, a creative director and a hair stylist... the later being of utter importance in some cases. Notorious diva Naomi Campbell has her own hair dresser that goes with her everywhere... and I mean everywhere. No one touches Naomi's hair but Naomi and this guy. Once someone referred to him as the guy who does Naomi's hair, to which he quickly remarked "I AM Naomi's hair". Respect.

Ideally you will work with the same great team forever and ever but in my case I rotate teams like changing socks. Whoever is available and most importantly, whoever is free! My team today was actually great. The designer had cute clothing, the makeup and hair chicks did a great job and the model was GORGE!


The only problem with today, and every other day in the studio, is that it is a shared space. There are 5 platforms and everyone is running around like crazy.







Once make up, hair and wardrobe are done then it's finally time for shooting, a task I find extremely difficult to do well when there are 5 people breathing down my neck. The designer is giving her two cents every five minutes, the make up and hair chicks run in unexpectedly like streakers in a soccer game to retouch the model and the creative director is shaking his head profusely. Through all of this I have to keep my cool and remember that I am the fucking photographer after all, so my say is the final word during the shoot.

Yes, the team is important because everyone's role is essential for a great photo. Never forget that there's no "I" in team.... but there sure as hell is a ME!


Manon - Mademoiselle Paris

1 comment:

JD FERGUSON said...

Hey girl! love the blog!