Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Stranger, weirder, nastier!

There's a video on You Tube called "Portfolio" that shows a fashion shoot by Steven Meisel in 1983. It features a bunch of gorgeous chicks dressed in 80's glam rock gear dancing and singing their little hearts off as Steven screams "Nastier! Sicker!". It's genius. One of the chicks in the video is non other than Paulina Porizkova, my least favorite judge ever on America's Next Top Model. She ruined this season for me, but I have to say I love her in this video!

This is what I love about fashion photography: the yelling, the thrill, the music... its like a big party where you have loads of fun with pretty people and in the end you don't have a generic partytonight.com type photo, but a kick ass editorial or cover!

Last week I met
Vincent Gapaillard, a super cool young photographer from Paris who photographs fashion still life. Personally I could never photograph still life. I need the rush of yelling and laughing and well, moving life... but Vincent makes his still life look fresh and fun. He definitely has a very unique way of seeing things.

Vincent made a great point about style and how important it is to make everything you do your own. Its easy to get carried away by role models (they say that copying is the biggest compliment) but there is no room for old... the same shit we see over and over... I find myself mimicking both consciously and unconsciously too often and its something I need to work on. But hey, i'm young and learning, so until I get my signature down and really concretize my style, I enjoy "borrowing" ideas from magazines and books... and not to mention Meisel's directing! When i'm shooting I just can't help but scream "Stranger, weirder, nastier"!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i have to say that i don't watch antm, so i don't know what paulina is like on there, but growing up she was one of my FAVORITE models ever.. i LIVED for her vogue covers.. i must have been around 13 years old.. when she married ric ocasek of the cars (are they still together?) i was like, what the hell? in her prime, she was sublime!

betty
mdc